Madison Will Participate in BandSwap 2014; Event Becomes a Day-Long Celebration
Last year Madison participated in BandSwap for the first time. BandSwap is a project of SpokesBuzz, an organization that is based in Ft. Collins Colorado. Seven cities were chosen to participate along with Ft. Collins who sent a representative musical artist to each city for an educational and performance event. In return, each host city chose a representative band who travelled to Ft. Collins for their BandSwap festival. Last year’s Madison representative was Sexy Ester.
The really big news about this year’s BandSwap participation is twofold: The event has been expanded to include five bands who will perform and earn lots of goodies, and the city of Madison has generously funded the entire event with $10,000.
If you want to participate you’ll need to move fast. The funding only materialized recently and the deadline for BandSwap is fast approaching. All the details are included in the official press release, which is copied below.
Madison Arts Commission Announces
Madison will participate in BandSwap 2014
Additional benefits for local bands
Call for self-nomination of Bands to represent Madison Music Scene
The Madison Arts Commission is pleased to announce that the City of Madison will participate in BandSwap in fall of 2014. This is the second year of our City’s participation in BandSwap and this year we will expand opportunities for local bands to benefit.
What is BandSwap?
BandSwap is a collaborative event that will highlight and promote the music scene of eight cities, including Madison, through a collaborative, nationwide effort with venues, media, fans and bands. This is a project of SpokesBUZZ, a 501-c-3 organization, headquartered in Fort Collins.
The Madison Arts Commission is planning several events to celebrate and support local musicians including a panel about the intersection of music and innovation, networking party for local musicians and innovators, a CD Release party for 4 local bands, as well the official BandSwap show at The Frequency.
The benefits of Madison’s involvement in BandSwap to the community are:
• The local music scene and community outreach & education/networking
• The national press opportunities
• The connection to like-minded city officials that are looking to collaborate and grow connections
5 bands will be selected to receive the following benefits:
· a music video created by students and graduates of MMI
· 1000 copies of their latest CD (CD must be ready for duplication. Graphic design and production must be completed.)
· A public CD release party
· A one-year premium subscription to Broadjam
· The first 25 applicants will get a free 2015 MAMA registration.
One band will also receive:
· A $200 licensing fee for placement of their CD on Yahara, a local on-line music library through the Madison Public Library
· A stipend to travel to Fort Collins to play at the BandSwap Homecoming
· An invitation to play at the 2015 MAMA
Bands interested in representing the City of Madison in this unique cultural exchange project must self-nominate (at no charge) to participate if they:
1) Agree to participate in all networking events, panel discussions, media opportunities and they are willing to play show/s in Madison, Wisconsin on Saturday, September 20, 2014
2) Are available to travel to Ft. Collins, CO from Oct 1-5, 2014
3) Have music or video to upload at no charge on Broadjam’s contest page: http://www.broadjam.com/contests/index.php?fltr=Open
3) Can explain why they would be the right fit to represent Madison for this opportunity in 200 words or less.
The band selected to participate will be chosen based on: musicianship, creativity, showmanship, professional dedication, career aptitude, social marketing savvy, collaborative spirit, availability, and fit for this program.
Want your favorite band to be selected? Tell them to sign up for a Broadjam account and apply to represent Madison in Bandswap): http://www.broadjam.com/contests/index.php?fltr=Open
Nominations must be submitted by 11:59pm on Sunday, June 8.
For any questions, please contact Karin Wolf, the Arts Program Administrator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.